Sanford native Chris Black, a master trooper with the North Carolina Highway Patrol, is one of just a handful of recipients of the patrol’s D.R. Bowick Trooper of the Year award.
Black, 35, has been with the Highway Patrol for 10 years and began his law enforcement career with the Sanford Police Department. His award is for Troop D, which covers a 9 county area including Lee and Chatham. There are eight troop divisions in the state; each names a Trooper of the Year.
Black said he found out about the award at his troop’s annual holiday party. He’d known he was one of a handful of troopers in the running, but didn’t expect to be the winner.
“Of course, it’s based on your statistics, your tickets and wrecks and all, but they also look at what you do off duty, for charity, in the community,” said Black, who also operates SanLee Roofing. “We did a lot of free work for people who had damage during Hurricane Matthew and I think they liked that.”
The award plaque said he was “selected by his peers for his outstanding dedication, selfless service and leadership to the NCSHP, Troop D, and his community.”
The award is named for Trooper Dustin Ryan Bowick, who died in 2012, shortly after joining the Patrol.
(article from www.rantnc.com)
The following members/business have so graciously paid sponsorship to assist with the cost of this years oyster roast:
- Chris Black / San-Lee Roofing & Construction
- Phil and Sharon Bray / Goodfellas
- Joe Bauerband
- Charles Goodwin / Goodwin Trucking
- Monty and Sandra Frelich
- Justin Smith / Meridan Builders of NC, Inc.
- Jerry Stephens
- Scott Pace / Edward Jones Investments
- Tim Childress / State Farm Insurance
- Randall Godfrey / Tramway Auto Body
- Derrick and Kathi Smith
- Joe & Yenly Clancy / Express Employment Professionals
- Glenn Gunter / Gunter Plumbing and Home Services
- Radford “Raddy” Holton
- Brent Smith / J. Brent Smith Construction
- Tim Sherman / Sherman Architecture
- Mike and Cindy Gonella
- Todd Pace & Phillip McCune/Mobile Media Blasting Technology
- Douglas Littiken / Cooper Contractors
- Michael Hattaway / Hattaway Dentistry
- Brett Reagan / Reagan & Son Grounds Maintenance
- Clay Moretz / Moretz Electrical Corporation
- Mike Cox / Argos Ready Mixed Concrete Company
- Clyde and John Nicholson / Nicholson Farms
- Harold and Trina Oldham
- Bobby and Jane Brewer
- John Crumpton
- Gary Johnson for President
- Brian McRae / Steel & Pipe Corporation
- Jimmy Martin / J & J Vending, Inc.
- Roland and Helen Frechette
- Chas Post / DWI Defense Attorney
- The Flame Steak House
The North Carolina State Exalted Ruler of the Year for 2015 – 2016 was presented at the NC Elks State Convention in Asheville and this year’s winner was our ER Joe Clancy. Joe is only the 4 ER from the Sanford Lodge to be honored with this award. Congratulations to Joe for representing the Sanford Lodge and bring this award back to our great Lodge!
Congratulation Joe Clancy!